Pedestrian / Traffic Safety Improvements
To improve safety for pedestrians, bicyclists and motorists along East Houston Street, DDC will be installing a number of traffic-calming measures. One significant measure is the neck-down. A neck-down is an extension of the curb that shortens the crosswalk distance while at the same time requiring motorists to reduce their speed to turn onto a sidestreet. In addition to the neck-downs, medians will be extended into the crosswalk creating a visible traffic-calming measure and safe refuge area for pedestrians. Other improvements include:
- High Visibility Crosswalks: Installation of pavement markings to alert motorists/bicyclists of pedestrian cross walk.
- Dedicated Bicycle Lanes and Bike Racks: The lanes will create a safer environment for bicyclists by calming traffic; while the bike racks will encourage bicycle use by providing users a safe storage option
- Bus Pads/Stop: Installation of designated area for the pick up / drop off of bus riders.
- Medians: Mall/planters dividing westbound and eastbound travel lanes.
- Drainage Improvements: Installation of additional catch basins and adjustment of grade to eliminate ponding / flooding.
- Street Lighting: New lights will enhance safety for all roadway users.
- Urban Design and Streetscape: Tinted concrete sidewalks and street tree planting.
Maintaining a Safe and Clean Work Zone
The DDC is committed to maintaining a work site that is safe and clean. However, dust, noise and heavy equipment are common elements of construction. There may be limited street access on certain blocks. However, deliveries to commercial and residential properties and emergency vehicle access will be allowed. In addition, the DDC will be baiting the construction zone on a regular basis to control rodent populations.
Student Pick-Up/Drop Off
- Where construction impacts school pick-up and drop-off zones at area schools (NEST+M, PS 196, Bard High School, PS 020), the DDC will coordinate with school officials and the Department of Education to ensure these locations are safe, clearly marked, and maintained.
- Pedestrian access to buildings will be maintained at all times.
- Street closures/Traffic Detours partial closures and/or limited access of intersections and streets. Signs will be posted.
- Vehicular access may be restricted on certain streets in certain locations.
- Parking will be temporarily restricted so construction may proceed. Signs will be posted where applicable.
- Driveway/loading dock access may be temporarily restricted.
- Temporary Bus Stop Relocation where necessary, bus routes may be relocated and/or detoured.